Thursday, April 28, 2011

111/365 Thursday 04/21/2011

Since I've been posting scanned pictures of various dead relatives on my mother's side of the family, I thought I'd post one from my father's side. And this one is dated "Easter 1931" -- 80 years ago! The cute little boy in the middle is my father Horst (Carl Friedrich) Grimm, who was born on October 7, 1928 in Stettin in the Prussian province of Pomerania. After the Second World War the city became polish and is now called Szcecin. But my father's family moved to Berlin at some point when he was still quite young. He always felt more like a Berliner than a Stettiner. The two men are his father on the left: Carl-Heinz and uncle, Ernst, on the right. I know very little about them. I remember hearing a story about how the two of them were orphaned at an early age and that they were adopted by different families. What is interesting to me is how Ernst, the uncle looks a lot more like my father than his actual father does....hmmmm. Carl-Heinz looks more like my father's younger brother, Peter,who was born nine years later. Carl-Heinz died fairly soon after the war I think. Uncle Ernst lived longer but my father never got back in touch with him, once he emigrated to Australia. (Which he did soon after the War). 

No comments:

Post a Comment