Thursday, February 24, 2011

54/365 Wednesday, 02/23/2011

This is my "recreational" reading at the moment. It is going very slowly--usually only a few pages before I go to sleep. Das Glasperlenspiel/The Glass Bead Game or Magister Ludi  was Herman Hesse's last novel--he worked on it from 1931 to 1943. It was published in Switzerland. It is a strange book and I have already started but not finished it once---which is something I do not like doing. The only other two books I have started but not finished in recent memory are Musil's Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften/The Man without Qualities and W.G.Sebald's Austerlitz, both of which I hope to go back and reread and finish in the not too distant future. I'm getting more into it the second time and I do find it interesting. I read Hesse mainly for the ideas, I do not find his writing style as compelling as that of either Thomas Mann or Franz Kafka, but his oeuvre is still interesting. And also quite teachable. I've taught "Narcissus & Goldmund" numerous times in translation as part of a Freshman Seminar centered on "Concepts of Friendship in German Literature". I've also taught Siddhartha once to a small class at Wabash College. (Many moons ago it must be said!).
Since Hesse wrote The Glass Bead Game from 1931-43, he must have had the Third Reich in mind as the kind of society the book is disdainful of. And Hesse being Hesse means his vision of a future utopia (so far at least) is rather medieval and ascetic. I am intrigued as to how he is going to write a whole novel about this one expert game player. That's kind of what is keeping me reading. I may report back on how it is going at a later point.

1 comment:

  1. ...traigo
    sangre
    de
    la
    tarde
    herida
    en
    la
    mano
    y
    una
    vela
    de
    mi
    corazón
    para
    invitarte
    y
    darte
    este
    alma
    que
    viene
    para
    compartir
    contigo
    tu
    bello
    blog
    con
    un
    ramillete
    de
    oro
    y
    claveles
    dentro...


    desde mis
    HORAS ROTAS
    Y AULA DE PAZ


    COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
    CATHIE

    CON saludos de la luna al
    reflejarse en el mar de la
    poesía...




    ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

    José
    Ramón...

    ReplyDelete