Sunday, November 27, 2011

321/365 Thursday, 11/17/2011

321/365 Thursday, 11/17/2011 by cathie
321/365 Thursday, 11/17/2011, a photo by cathie on Flickr.

The vegan experiment continues. Bill and I watched the pro-plant-based diet documentary "Forks over Knives" the other night and I've been reading many posts of this blog: http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/ on nutrition and the benefits of a low-fat plant-based diet. That being said, there is a part of me that still thinks - I am mainly doing this for ethical reasons and so the occasional vegan junk-food item is ok--I guess I am cutting myself some slack as I continue on this interesting food/nourishment path. One thing I have noticed is how some folks seem to go to great lengths to find pro-meat-eating arguments--i.e. they say things like humans are meant to eat meat, vegans are often gaunt, weak & unhealthy, or they talk themselves into feeling somehow deprived if they don't consume animal products. I remember thinking I craved meat, but I now think I was talking myself into craving it...so far I have not experienced any strong meat, dairy or egg cravings. Part of this is psychological too--I've probably talked myself out of wanting to eat these foods, because of what they are. (=products derived from animals, whose sole reason for existing is to serve as a food source for humans).
Nevertheless I am definitely going to try and reduce the fats I eat and also try and eat more whole grains and less refined ones...bring on the whole wheat pasta and even more of that weird quinoa. I am also interested in experimenting more with oatmeal--especially in "savory oatmeal" as shown here:
http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2011/01/cheezy-oatmeal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment