Wednesday, November 23, 2011

318/365: Monday, 11/14/2011

318/365: Monday, 11/14/2011 by cathie
318/365: Monday, 11/14/2011, a photo by cathie on Flickr.
So today at home in Albion I have been reading up on the so-called "Esselstyn" diet-- he's the doctor who appears prominently in the "Forks over Knives" documentary about how much healthier a plant-based diet is-for everyone... Dr. Esselstyn and his wife and (adult) kids adhere to a completely plant-based and also low fat diet (i.e. lots of veggies, but no avocados, no nuts, except for the occasional walnut and also no olive oil). As a person transitioning to vegan-ism mainly for ethical reasons it is kind of a lot to get my head around-- I dearly love my avocados. Dr. Esselstyn would also not approve of my vegan bagel (=not a whole grain?) and I'm sure he would disdain the Earth Balance margarine that I now use instead of butter. I will definitely experiment with olive-oil free sauteing of my green veggies and baking/roasting too. And I'll also look for more whole grains too.
But for now I will - at least occasionally indulge in avocados, nuts (=not just walnuts) and olive oil. What I will try and do is not over-indulge in them....we'll see how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment