Friday, January 14, 2011

12/365 Wednesday, 01/12/2011

A picture of my great grandfather Major Colin McKenzie Taylor there on the far left with the cane. I wish I knew where they were-I need to do a bit more research--he lived mainly in New Zealand. (Born 1844 in what is now Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, grew up in England and in 1863 he went via Sydney, Australia to New Zealand. I think he went back to England for a period of time, but he did return to New Zealand. 
My great grandmother Magdeline Ratahi Watkins-Taylor was a part-Maori nurse who I think looked after his first wife until she died and then he married her and they had two daughters one of whom was Mamari Augusta Lane Taylor, my maternal grandmother. I think the above must have been taken in New Zealand--that big cannon does not bode well for whoever it was being aimed at..

No comments:

Post a Comment