Thursday, June 5, 2014

Disney's Sleeping Beauty (1959)


I liked Sleeping Beauty much better than Cinderella. The comedy in this one seemed less irritating to me. And I have to confess I have a strong childhood memory of seeing pictures in a book taken from the Disney film (especially of the three good fairies) and being enthralled by them – trying to decide which color-fairy I liked the best. I kind of liked how Merryweather kept bickering with the bossy one. (Pink/blue/pink/blue)
The visual look of the film also appealed to me. Apparently it was the last Disney film to use hand-inked cels. I was drawn to the scenery which was done by Eyvind Earle.
I also liked the music better—what’s not to like about Tchaikovsky?


And of course Malificent was magnificent….Who knew about the dragon!?!? Supercool. I loved how her little crow side-kick (Diablo?) got turned into a crow-gargoyle. Even the proverbial goons were kind if entertaining. All in all not a bad movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment